We are a friendly London canoe club who welcome all those interested in kayaking from beginners to experienced paddlers, paddling fanatics or just warm weather fans.
Putney Bridge Canoe Club is probably London’s most active kayak club for paddling on the Thames, sea kayaking, whitewater rivers and the Lee Valley whitewater course. The club has members from all over London, as well as from the local areas of Putney, Fulham, Hammersmith, Wandsworth and Chelsea. We are always keen to welcome new members and are British Canoeing affiliated.
We have pool training sessions for those new to the sport, or wanting to improve. Paddle trips are organised all year from our base by the Thames. The Club has everything you need to go kayaking on the Thames, you just need to bring suitable clothes.
Follow these steps to join us:
- As a newcomer to the Club first come along to our weekly pool session. If you are a beginner you will be taught basic safety drills and rescues. Normally 3 sessions is sufficient for you to become competent. If you have prior kayaking experience this will be quicker.
- After completing the safety drills go to our Membership system to provisionally join the Club. You are allowed one month and 2 Thames trial sessions before payment is due.
- After joining the club, you will receive email invitations to paddle with us on the Thames.
- Once you are used to paddling on the Thames, progress to paddling at Lee Valley, on white water rivers and sea kayaking.
- Don’t forget to return to the pool to acquire and improve on skills such as for eskimo rolling. paddle techniques and advanced rescues.