WelcomeWe are a canoe club for adults, based at Barn Elms Boathouse, Putney and affiliated to British Canoeing. Our members come from Hammersmith & Fulham, Westminster, Wandsworth and Chelsea, as well as from other London boroughs. We have a wide variety of paddling interests, ranging from Thames paddles to trips on the sea and white-water rivers, both in the UK and abroad. There is an active group interested in kayak racing, which practises on the Thames at Putney and participates in races. The Club has everything you need to go kayaking on the Thames, you just need to bring suitable clothes and footwear. We are a registered charity, number 1204998 and are a self help club where members are encouraged to participate in all activities as well as helping to run the Club. The calendar shows some of our activities.
Follow these steps to join us:
- Newcomers must attend the weekly pool session where you will practise basic safety drills, rescues and the skills necessary to ensure you are ready to paddle on the tidal Thames. For a beginner this can take 3+ sessions. However, for an experienced paddler it is likely to take fewer sessions.
- After completing the safety drills go to our Membership system to provisionally join the Club. You are allowed one Thames trial session before payment is due.
- After joining the club, you can book sessions to paddle with us on the Thames.
- Once you are used to paddling on the Thames, progress to paddling at Lee Valley, on white water rivers and sea kayaking.
- Don’t forget to return to the pool to acquire and improve on skills such as for eskimo rolling. paddle techniques and advanced rescues.